The Social Action Committee of Temple Ahavat Shalom seeks to foster an ongoing commitment to the ideals and practice of Tikkun Olam as exemplified by Rabbi Chanina Ben Dasa when he said: “When deeds exceed learning, learning endures; but when learning exceeds deeds, it does not endure.”
We will try to accomplish this by inspiring and encouraging the integration of social action into the lives of the Temple community and by engaging in specific actions designed to assist and improve the lives of others.
Social Action at Temple Ahavat Shalom takes a variety of forms:
- Serving the less fortunate in the Tampa Bay community.
- Contributing resources to international, national, or local relief efforts.
- Encouraging congregants to get involved by exploring issues affecting our community.
- Collecting goods or services for distribution in the community.
The programs of Temple Ahavat Shalom administered by its Social Action Committee include:
- Holding an annual Mitzvah Day, in conjunction with the Religious School, when the entire Temple family participates in activities designed to enhance the lives of many.
- Providing information that will help families choose acts of kindness they can perform in the community throughout the year.
- Organizing holiday dinners for RCS agencies and a dinner in January for Pinellas Hope.
- Collecting food for distribution to the community via local food banks.
- Encouraging the recycling of newspapers, magazines, etc. through the use of a bin at the Temple.
- Providing a Rides Program to Temple services and programs to those who do not have transportation.
- Providing an explanation of amendments to the Florida Constitution that appear on November ballots.
The Social Action Committee encourages participation from the entire congregation in its activities to fulfill the mitzvot of tikkun olam (repairing the world),g’milut chasidim (acts of kindness), and k’hilat tzedek (creating a community of justice).
Donations may be made below by using PayPal. There are three options indicated below; however, you need to email Ellen Woll at firstname.lastname@example.org after you make a donation and indicate who (their full name) the donation is In Celebration of, In Honor of or In Memory of. Also indicate to whom you would want an acknowledgement card sent and include their name and address. If you have a question, please contact Ellen.